27 August 2009

Long time no...words

A lot has happened for me in the last few months. Wait...no it hasn't. I've just been really lazy. Lately, I've really been into experimental, sample based electronic music that is sort of "danceable". Pictureplane is a band I've been a fan of for a few years now, and an official full-length has finally been released on Lovepump United. Similar bands with similar sounds include Teengirl Fantasy, Mad Rad, Savages, and my new favorite Breakfast Mountain. Being from a town known for it's indie music standouts (Elliot Smith, James Mercer of The Shins, Menomena, Viva Voce, The Thermals, and M. Ward), BM shed light for me on a genre of music that I had no idea was so prevalent in Portland, OR and the Pacific Northwest. To get an idea of how much talent there is up here, I suggest heading to The Comet Tavern tomorrow night, when Mad Rad, Breakfast Mountain, Dash EXP and others will tear that place apart. It was recommended by a friend that I wear a football helmet and possibly some riot gear to the show. Riot gear = fun, right? Talk soon or later.

No comments: