29 December 2008

Top Album(s) of 2008



My top album from this past year is The Helio Sequence's 'Keep Your Eyes Ahead'. Released in late January on Subpop Records, this album seemed to slowly fade out of people's top albums as the year progressed. No other album that has been released this year, is as catchy, cohesive, and well-balanced as this. Brandon Summers (vocals, guitar, harmonica, etc.) and Benjamin Weikel (drums, etc.) create such a full environment of sound, it's hard to believe two people can accomplish this alone. I was fortunate to see them live twice this year, and the KEXP BBQ was probably my favorite show of 2008. The title track, followed by 'Back to This' and 'Hallelujah', are definite highlights from the album. I'm hoping this review will reach people outside the Pacific Northwest that may not be as familiar with The Helio Sequence. As big as they are here in Seattle, they definitely deserve more attention throughout the country.

Obviously, I have a lot to choose from for favorite albums of 2008. Unfortunately, none of them came even close to my number one. Here is a brief list of albums that caught my ear this year:

Meursault - Pissing On Bonfires/Kissing With Tongues
Francois Virot - Yes or No
The Walkmen - You and Me
Helms Alee - Night Terror
School of Seven Bells - Alpinisms
M83 - Saturdays = Youth
Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight
No Age - Nouns

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sweet blog guys. You should really check out my high flyin blog at www.lxgalbraith.com

scchhhweeeettttt